Recipe: Braised Pomegranate Rosemary Brisket with 36 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 tbsp Rosemary Olive Oil
- 1 5 lb beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 36 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 4 tbsp Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 tbsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Venice Olive Oil Rosemary Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottomed roasting pan.
- Add the brisket and brown on both sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic cloves to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add the vinegar and deglaze the pan, scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the broth and rosemary sprigs… reduce the heat to a simmer…and cook 5 more minutes.
- Salt and pepper the brisket on all sides, and add it to the roasting pan, fat side up.
- Spoon the garlic and onions over and around the meat.
- Place the brisket in the oven, cover and cook, until the meat is fork tender, 2 1/2 – 3 hours, basting every half-hour.
- Allow the meat to rest in the pan sauce for at least an hour.
- Prior to serving…transfer the brisket to a platter and strain the pan juices…reserve the garlic and rosemary sprigs.
- Skim and discard as much fat as possible from the liquid.
- Puree the roasted garlic with 1 cup of the pan juices in a food processor or a blender.
- Transfer the pureed garlic mixture and the remaining braising liquid to a large sauté pan.
- Simmer over medium heat until the gravy reduces to the desired consistency.
- Slice the brisket thinly across the grain add to the gravy and rewarm until heated through.
- Transfer back to the serving platter…top with extra gravy.