- 4 lamb shanks
- 6 tbsp Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups red wine…heartier the better, if you are near a Trader Joes…Two Buck Chuck is perfect!
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp 18-year-old Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tbsp thyme
- 3 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 cups cooked white cannellini beans
- 4 tbsp butter
For the lamb…
- Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat until hot …but not setting off the smoke alarm.
- Brown lamb shanks in two batches and transfer to a plate.
- Lower the heat and add two thirds of your onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to the Dutch oven and sauté until the onions and carrots are softened.
- Add wine and simmer, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced to about 3 cups.
- Return shanks to the pan and stir in 4 cups chicken broth, balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp thyme.
- Allow the liquid to come to a boil and then reduce heat to just a simmer.
- Cover and continue to simmer 1 1/2 hours, occasionally turning the lamb shanks.
- Remove the cover and simmer 1 hour more, or until lamb shanks are mouth wateringly succulent and tender. There is a lot to do while the lamb is cooking…
For the Gremolata…
- Mince about half the remaining garlic
- Combine in a small bowl with the parsley and lemon zest.
- Set aside.
For the beans…
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Sauté the remaining onions, carrots, celery and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, remaining 2 cups chicken broth, and remaining 1 tbsp thyme and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in half the gremolata mixture, cover and leave on the stove while the lamb finishes.
- When the lamb is done, transfer shanks to a plate and cover with foil.
- Strain braising liquid through a sieve into a saucepan, discard the solids.
- Stir in butter and boil sauce, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Sprinkle lamb shanks with the remaining gremolata and serve with beans, sauce, smashed potatoes and a new bottle of Two-Buck Chuck.