It is hot and muggy here in Southwest Florida… really hot and muggy… even the birds seem sluggish and lazy this morning. It is the perfect time for something cold, spicy and crunchy that does not does not involve a stove, oven or sweltering over a heat source of any kind.
We are a family divided when it comes to cilantro. Some love it and some think it tastes exactly like Ivory soap. If you share cilantro issues…serve it as garni on the side or feel free to replace it with Italian parsley. Serve in martini glasses, jars or shot glasses with celery and a shrimp or two on the side. Of course, the vodka is optional.
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion
- 4 cups Bloody Mary mix
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 English cucumbers, chopped into large chunks
- 6 large, ripe tomatoes
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cups vodka
- 1/4 cup Garlic Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Worchester sauce
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Place the jalapeno, garlic, red onion and 1 cup bloody Mary mix into a blender or food processor, process until smooth…transfer to a large bowl.
- Next process the cilantro, cucumber and tomatoes until smooth and transfer to the bowl.
- Add the lime juice, vodka, olive oil, Worchester sauce and remaining Bloody Mary mix…stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
From: “Garden Table: A Celebration of Bare Feet, Fresh Picked Tomatoes and Not Waiting Until Sunday Night to Grill,” by Mango Dragonfly.